Any abnormality in the otherwise normal menstrual cycle is called bleeding disorder.
Normal Menstrual Cycle
- Average length of menstrual cycle: 28 days (normapxl range 21-35 days)
- Menstrual bleeding duration: 3-5 days (normal range 2-6 days)
- Average amount of blood loss: 30ml (app. 2 tablespoons)
Bleeding Disorders include:
- Hypermenorrhoea (excessively long or heavy menstrual cycle)
- Menorrhagia (excessive and/or prolonged menstrual bleeding at regular intervals)
- Metrorrhagia (is uterine bleeding at irregular intervals)
- Recurrent additional bleeding
- Bleeding after menopause
- Bleeding due to contraception, HRT, drugs etc.
Hysteroscopy & Bleeding Disorders
Hysteroscopy is non-invasive examination as well as therapeutic procedure for evaluating and treating abnormalities that are inside the cervix and uterus using a thin, lighted, flexible tube called a hysteroscope. Hysteroscope is inserted into the vagina to reach uterine cavity. In most of the cases, it is an outpatient procedure that involves no or just a local anaesthesia.
What is the need of a Hysteroscopy?
Hysteroscopy is indicated in following abnormal bleeding conditions:
- Abnormal uterine bleeding
- Post-menopausal bleeding
- Diagnose the cause of infertility or repeated miscarriages
- Examine and remove uterine scarring, polyps, or fibroids
- Place or find and remove displaced IUDs
- Take tissue sample (biopsy)
- Prevent bleeding by destroying tissue using electric current, freezing, heat, or chemicals
Hysteroscopy procedure: The procedure is quick and is generally performed under local anaesthesia in an outpatient setting. The hysteroscope is inserted through the vagina and cervix to reach uterus and view its anatomy and evaluate any pathology especially in cases of abnormal uterine bleeding, uterine fibroids or polyps or during an infertility work-up. This procedure not only allows accurate diagnosis of the disorder but also facilitates simultaneous treatment for smaller issues.
Advantages of Hysteroscopy
- Procedure is performed without any cuts or stitches
- Quick procedure
- No incision is given as procedure is performed via vagina
- None or minimal discomfort to the patient
- Women go home the same day
- Facilitates diagnosis as well as therapeutic treatment simultaneously of abnormality in the uterine cavity